Sunday, April 20, 2014

In my humble opinion, there can never be enough blogs, articles or media coverage regarding comic book visionary Jack "King" Kirby! Kirby's been gone since August 1994 and obviously can't fend for himself and Jack's wife Roz passed on a mere four years after he did. So who does that leave in his wake? Well, millions and millions of fans to be sure, but in physical terms there's The Jack Kirby Collector (about as fine a publication as you're gonna find about Jack Kirby) and a smattering of other highly regarded sites like Mark Evanier's newsfromME (which has some great archived stories about Jack). It's all good stuff and I repeat, for my money, they'll never be enough media coverage when it comes to Jack Kirby!

No Excuses

Over the years I've tried to maintain a blog devoted to Jack Kirby. Usually I start off strong and then a week or two into it I crash and burn and come to a grinding halt. It's not for lack of material that's for sure! Everyday living usually gets in the way. And that's not even a valid excuse, because a lot of folks that are much busier than me manage to write every day! Maybe I'll be luckier this time!

What's in a Name?

 A few years ago  I started a great (for me anyway) blog  dedicated to Jack Kirby entitled Jack of all Trades. Before that I had another one that I can't even remember the name of! This time around I'm calling the blog KirbyKingofKings. No religious implications intended. But from a comics point of view Jack is the King of Comics. I think he was the best of the bunch as a creator. There were other artists that could maybe draw better, but Jack was the whole package: he wrote and he drew and you rarely found that combination during Jack's heyday in the 40's, 50's 60's and 70's, much less today!

The Sky's the Limit!                                                                      

So this time around, I'll cover all the bases and maybe get some feedback and contributions as well. The sky's the limit! The bottom line is keeping Jack's name out there. As long as Disney/Marvel keeps pumping put movies that have Jack's co-creations or creations as the foundation, I feel like doing my part in making sure that anybody who reads this knows who Jack Kirby is and what his monumental accomplishments were!

Until next time!
gp

No comments:

Post a Comment